A vegan does not eat meat of any kind, including eggs. They also do not consume dairy products. The majority of Greek yogurt on the market is considered a dairy product because the manufacturers use some sort of mammal milk (cows, goat, etc) to create the product. All milk based Greek yogurt is not vegan.
Fortunately for those seeking vegan yogurt, there are alternatives to the traditional yogurt. Several companies produce non-mammal milk Greek yogurt or yogurt products . Mainly these are yogurts made from almond milk, soy milk, or coconut milk. Below is a list of some of these products.
1) So Delicious is one of the more popular dairy free manufacturers. The company makes an almond and coconut milk based Greek style/yogurt products. The yogurt is non-GMO and gluten free, along with being vegan.
2) Amande (French for “Almond”) specializes in making cultured almond milk products, which have textures similar to dairy yogurt. The flavors included blueberry, strawberry, coconut, cherry, peach, raspberry, vanilla, and plain. All products are gluten free, non-GMO, and vegan.
3) Silk makes several flavors of soy based yogurt alternatives. The varieties include peach mango, blueberry, strawberry, vanilla, black cherry, and tropical pineapple. The products are non-GMO, gluten free and vegan.
4) Stonyfield also produces a soy yogurt, which comes in four flavors: blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, and vanilla. All products are gluten free, non-GMO and vegan.
5) Almond Dream manufacturers yogurt alternatives using almonds. Flavors include strawberry, vanilla, mixed berry, plain. and coconut. All products are gluten free and vegan.
6) Nancy’s uses organic soy milk and amazake for their yogurt alternative products. The products are gluten free and vegan. The flavors available are blackberry, strawberry, blueberry, mango, raspberry, and vanilla,